Rubber and silicon wristbands have been steadily gaining popularity due to its versatility and many uses. You can see people from different walks of life wearing these bracelets for different reasons. Some wear it to support causes they believe in, while others wear it as a fashion statement. Still a few others use it for marketing purposes.
Whatever the reasons may be for a person to wear these wristbands, the durability of these often allows a person to wear these bracelets for long periods of time. This can result in dingy and dirty wristbands that are in dire need of cleaning. How can you keep your rubber and silicon bracelets clean? There are a few methods that can be used to restore these to their good-as-new look.
Restoring your silicon bracelets to their former glory takes just a bit of elbow grease, and some simple cleaning materials that you can find around the house. Here are a few things you can try:
Method 1: You will need some warm water, a bit of dishwashing detergent, and a soft bristled brush. Mix together the soap and the water, then dip your wristband in the water for a few minutes.
After soaking, remove the bracelet and gently scrub the silicon with the soft brush. If the wristband has printed details on it and are not embossed or debossed, be careful not to scrub away the markings.
Once you are done brushing your wristband, wash with clean water and pat dry.
Method 2: Prepare a sponge, mild liquid soap, hot water, and cold water. You start by mixing the soap with the hot water and soaking your silicon wristbands in the hot water/soap solution for a few minutes.
Take the bracelet from the hot water, careful not to scald yourself, and gently scrub the surface with the use of the sponge to remove the dirt and stains on it.
Once you have removed all the dirt that you can see on your wristband, rinse it thoroughly in tepid water, then soak the wristband in the cold water for at least 15 minutes.
Wipe dry after removing from the water.
Method 3: If your silicone wristband has grooves in it because of the embossed or debossed design, you will need a cuticle stick and some cotton along with the aforementioned cleaning materials of the first two cleaning methods.
After soaking the wristband and scrubbing to remove surface dirt, get your cuticle stick and wrap a thin piece of cotton on the tip. Dip the cuticle stick in the soapy mixture and use the pointy end with the cotton to remove any dirt and grime that may remain stuck in the cracks and crevices of the silicon wristband’s design.
Rinse after all the dirt in the wristband has been removed. Soak in cold water after rinsing.
Aside from washing your wristbands regularly to keep them from looking dull, old, and drab, you should also take note of a few things you need to do in order to prevent your silicon or rubber bracelets from deterioration. Here are some things to remember:
- Remove your bracelets before going to sleep. While these are indeed durable, these are not indestructible and all that movement while you sleep can wear the edges down. It may also snag on something as you move in your sleep, which may cause it to stretch or break.
- You can stretch your wristband to a certain extent, but overstretching can damage it. Stretching it when you wear it and remove it is okay, but stretching to fit objects that are too big for it can cause it to break.
- While silicon and rubber materials used to create wristbands have some UV resistance, over-exposure to sunlight over long periods of time, or repetitively, will cause damage to it. Try to limit UV ray exposure to ensure that your wristbands last a long time.
- Exposing your rubber or silicon wristbands to harsh chemicals is also a no-no. If you will be doing some work where exposure to some chemicals is inevitable, remove your wristbands to keep these from getting damaged.
- When you remove your wristbands, do not mix them in with metal items in your knick-knacks case or box. Keep all your wristbands separate from everything else to ensure that these will last for as long as they should, without getting damaged.
These steps and tips will help ensure that your silicon or rubber wristbands remain clean and intact. This will also help ensure that these will be usable for as long as you want and need them. Keeping these bracelets in tip top condition isn’t that difficult since all you need to keep them clean and well maintained can be easily found in your own kitchens at home.